Looking for a delectable treat without any of the guilt? Look no further than this satisfying but surprisingly healthy coffee cake flavored with Teeccino Southern Pecan. (Yes, that’s right. We just used “healthy” and “coffee cake” in the same sentence!) Within the directions you’ll find whole grain, gluten-free and vegan options. This is truly a baked delight that suits all kinds of dietary needs ~ made with low-or-non caloric sweeteners to lighten the calorie load!
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or gluten-free baking flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt, fine grind
½ cup organic palm sugar (low glycemic) or Swerve® Sugar Replacement (non-caloric)
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup grapeseed or sunflower seed oil
¼ cup brewed Teeccino (any nut flavor but Southern Pecan is optimum)
1 tsp maple flavor extract (Frontier makes a nice one!)
2 eggs (dairy version)
2 tbsp chia seeds, ground (vegan version)
1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream (dairy version)
¾ cup applesauce unsweetened (vegan version)
¾ cup chopped pecans
½ cup organic palm sugar (low glycemic) or Swerve® Sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or gluten-free baking flour
3 tbsp melted butter or vegan butter alternative.
1/4 cup Swerve® Confectioners Sugar Replacement
2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Grease a 8” square pan or round bundt cake pan
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and sweetener of your choice, together.
- In a bowl or electric mixer, mix together the maple syrup, oil, brewed Teeccino and maple extract (optional but really delicious!)
- Add the eggs to the mixer for the dairy version.
- Vegans: Soak the ground chia seeds in 6 tbsp water. Add the soaked seeds to the liquid.
- Add the Greek yogurt, sour cream or applesauce to the liquid and mix thoroughly.
- Blend in the dry ingredients slowly until thoroughly mixed with the wet.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix well.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar of your choice, flour, and the melted butter or vegan butter alternative.
- Mix well with a fork.
- Pour half of the batter into the greased pan.
- Sprinkle half the streusel evenly over the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter over the streusel.
- Sprinkle the remaining streusel over the batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Test with a toothpick. If it doesn’t come out clean, bake for 5 minutes more or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to a platter by tipping the cake onto a temporary platter or pan. Then tip it back onto the platter you want to serve it on so the streusel is showing on the top of the cake.
- Blend the confectioners sugar with the maple syrup. The topping should be the right consistency tto drizzle off of a spoon so add more maple syrup if necessary.
- Drizzle ribbons of the topping over the top of the warm cake.