My Mocha Nut Mousse recipe, below, is delicious and satisfying; it is dairy-free, low-sugar (containing a little honey and stevia) and one of my favorites for special occasions. For me, this recipe works as a little indulgence without health consequences.
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
- 3 cans full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk (13.5oz.)
- 8 tablespoons organic raw cacao powder
- ½ cup raw honey
- 3 packets stevia powder or 10 drops stevia liquid
- 1 cup brewed Teeccino®
- 2 tablespoons instant organic coffee (regular or decaf)
- 3 ½ tablespoons gelatin
Hazelnut Cream Topping
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5oz. or 14oz.)
- 1 package stevia powder or 3 drops liquid
- 1 teaspoon organic hazelnut extract/flavor
- 4 squares dark chocolate (88% cacao or higher)
Yield: 8 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
- For the hazelnut cream topping, refrigerate the can of coconut milk.
- In a large sauce pan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter, add the coconut milk, cacao powder, honey, and stevia. Whisk all ingredients together until well-mixed. Slowly bring to a gentle boil, stirring often.
- Add the brewed Teeccino (or coffee) and whisk in the gelatin powder 1 tablespoon at a time, slowly to avoid clumping and allow gelatin to completely dissolve.
- Remove from heat; stir in the instant coffee. Set aside to cool while making the topping.
- Cut the dark chocolate into very thin slivers, set aside.
- Open the can of refrigerated coconut milk, in a small mixing bowl, spoon out the solid coconut milk (at the top of the can), leaving the liquid coconut water behind. Transfer the liquid to another container and save for smoothies (freeze if necessary).
- Add all other ingredients for the topping, use a hand mixer or a whisk and blend until smooth.
- Using parfait glasses, spoon in the mousse filling ¾ of the way full. Then spoon on the topping and sprinkle on the dark chocolate.
- Cover each glass with plastic wrap before refrigerating to prevent a film from forming on top and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Will stay fresh in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
With over 20 years of experience in the holistic field of Nutrition, Karen Falbo, is the Director of Nutrition Education at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage. Since 2010, Karen has served on a Nutrition seat for the Colorado Food System Advisory Council (COFSAC). The COFSAC charge is to advance recommendations that strengthen healthy food access for all Coloradans through Colorado agriculture and local food systems and economies. Karen is also a certified fitness instructor & Hatha Yoga teacher and the author of Vital Abundance Cookbook, a whole foods cookbook.