Many thanks to our local Santa Barbara gelato specialist, Michael Palmer, who graciously came up with this recipe for publication in a feature article on Teeccino in the Santa Barbara News Press. It’s heavenly and will make you wish we could tempt one of our natural food ice cream brands into selling Teeccino flavored ice creams!
- 1/2 cup Vanilla Nut Teeccino grounds
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat milk, Teeccino grounds and 1/2 cup of sugar in saucepan until sugar dissolves. Turn off heat just as milk comes to a boil.
- Cover saucepan and let steep for 15 minutes
- Strain milk mixture through mesh strainer to remove Teeccino grounds. Dispose of grounds, set milk mixture aside.
- Combine egg yolks with remaining 1/4 cup sugar and whisk until the mixture turns a thick light yellow (about 3-5 minutes)
- Slowly pour the reserved milk mixture into the egg yolk/sugar mixture, whisking until feel blended. Do not pour too fast so hot liquid doesn’t cook egg yolks.
- Return Teeccino/yolk mixture to the stove. Add cream and stir continually over medium heat until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Be sure that the mixture does not boil
- Pass mixture through a mesh strainer into a bowl that is set in an ice bath
- Chill to room temperature, stirring occasionally
- Freeze in an ice cream maker to manufacturer’s instruction
- Transfer to an airtight plastic container, gelato will store up to two weeks.