This unique steak sauce comes from a “long standing family traditional” recipe contributed by Geffen Rothe of the Bay area and attributed to Barbara’s Dad. Ok, Barbara’s Dad – you made a really delectable steak sauce that will make everyone who tastes it realize that this blows away all those tomatoe & worstershire steak sauce recipes.
- 4 – 6 New York strip steaks or 1 Trip-tip steak
- Brew 3 cups of Teeccino using 2 tbsp French Roast and 2 tbsp Maya Chocolate in a French Press or drip coffee maker for an extra strong brew. Let cool to room temperature.
- Pepper or Teeccino Maya Chocolate Spice Rub
- Place steaks in a pyrex glass pan.
- Pour Teeccino 1/4″ high in the pan. Do not cover the meat with Teeccino.
- Lightly pepper the exposed steak surfaces (or use the Teeccino Spice Rub instead of pepper).
- Cover pan with plastic wrap to seal in moisture and marinade in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Turn meat after 1 hour. Lightly pepper (or sprinkle with the spice rub) the exposed side and replace in the refrigerator. You may repeat this step two more times during marinade period.
- Heat oven or grill to 400 degrees F.
- Remove meat from the marinade, saving at least half of the Teeccino marinade.
- Place meat into a large cast iron skillet and put a slice of butter or non-dairy margarine on top of each steak. For Tri-tip, place a slice of butter every 2-3″ of surface.
- Broil, grill or bake meat to preference. (Set a digital meat thermometer to 140 for medium rare.)
- Remove meat from skillet and let sit on serving platter for 5 minutes.
- While meat sits, heat skillet with pan drippings over high flame.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of remaining Teeccino marinade into pan and reduce. Reduce heat to medium, and continue adding marinade to preferred flavor strength.
- Note: If cooking Tri-tip, carve the meat on a carving board and then pour the drippings into the skillet. Alternatively, add another slice of butter or margarine to the skillet to balance the sauce flavor.
- Serve steaks with a teaspoon of Teeccino sauce over the top and savor this rich, smoky dark flavor!