I usually avoid those baked beans drenched in barbeque sauce that are so common at American picnics, but when I tasted Lys’s Smokey White Beans, I was hooked! Lys’s European upbringing gives these baked beans a sophisticated flavor accented by Mediterranean herbs and infused with a strong brew of Teeccino Mediterranean Java or Maya French Roast. This is a quick and easy dish to prepare in only 10 minutes!
- 2 large cans (15 oz) of Progresso white cannellinni beans
- 1/4 cup strong Java or French Roast Teeccino: Infuse 4 tablespoons of Teeccino in 1/3 cup boiling water. Strain with a fine mesh strainer or paper filter.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (we love Braggs!)
- 1/4 cup of brandy
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (Look for liquid smoke flavor next to the barbeque sauces at your grocery store)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons powdered dry mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced thinly
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Preheat Oven to 325°F
- Mix all the ingredients except the beans in a small saucepan and heat slowly until it reaches the boiling point.
- Turn off the heat.
- Rinse and drain the beans.
- Toss with the beans in a bowl with the warm sauce.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish and top with onion slices.
- Dot with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 1 hour at 325°F.